Host a Bake Sale to Help Fight Childhood Hunger
Share Our Strength's 3rd annual Great American Bake Sale is April 20-22. The idea is simple: Host a bake sale ( or join one!) and Share Our Strength will use the proceeds to help end childhood hunger.
Share Our Strength is a national organization working hard to make sure no kid in America grows up hungry. The funds raised by the Great American Bake Sale support No Kid Hungry, Share Our Strength’s campaign to end childhood hunger in America by 2015.
- More than 16 million kids in America live in households that struggle to put food on the table. That’s 1 out of 5 kids.
- There were also more than 16.4 million children in America living in poverty in 2010. That’s almost 1 million more than in 2009.
- On an average school day, 9.8 million kids get free or reduced-price school breakfast, more than ever before -- but 10.5 million eligible kids go without.
- Only 1 in 7 kids who get free and reduced-priced school lunches receive summer meals.
- Almost 45 million Americans used SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly food stamps) during 2011. Nearly 75 percent of these are in families with children and more than a quarter are in households with seniors or people with disabilities.
Think April 20 is too soon for you to get your bake sale pulled together? No sweat: You can host one anytime of the year. We're hosting ours May 4 ( I'm thinking Kelsey's Carmelitas will be a hot seller).
For a first-hand look at the crisis of childhood hunger in America, tune into the documentary Hunger Hits Home Saturday, April 14, at 8pm ET on Food Network.
More Ideas for Fighting Hunger from Family and Friends
- EatingWell: 6 Inspiring People Who Are Fighting Hunger
- BlogHer Food: Poor Girl on SNAP: Using EBT at the Farmers' Market
- GMA.com: Fight Hunger With These 5 Charities
- Food Republic: Joining Bloggers to Take on Hunger
- Eatocracy: Focus on Hunger