5 Tips for Better Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
It's hard to improve upon the classic grilled cheese recipe, but we thought we'd give it a try. Here are three tips for upgrading your grilled cheese sandwich, plus a few new recipes to try out.
5 Tips for a Better Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mix a little mayo into the butter that is spread on the outside of the sandwich. This will prevent the sandwich from burning.
- Start your sandwich in the oven, open-faced, then finish in a skillet. You'll get ooey, gooey cheese all the way through, plus nice and crispy toast.
- Shred your cheese. Two reasons. One is melt-ability: Shredded cheese will melt more evenly and faster. The second is it allows you to combine more than one cheese for the ultimate melt and flavor combination.
- Play around with the ingredients. Forget processed American cheese. Try out a variety of different cheese combinations to find what works for you, or work in a signature ingredient like apple slices, bacon or, to go really crazy, macaroni and cheese.
- Let it rest! You won’t burn your mouth on the first bite, and all that delicious precious cheese will stay in the sandwich rather than pour out onto the plate. Don’t wait too long, a few minutes is perfect so your still in that melted range but not quite mouth-blisteringly molten.
New Spins on Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Get our tips for elevating your burger recipe, including out-of-the-box toppings, add-ons and tasty substitutions.
Grilled Cheese never goes out of style. Browse our many takes on the ultimate comfort food sandwich.
Cooking Channel culinary experts hash out the great stuffing debate: Is it better to stuff the turkey or serve the dressing on the side?
Get great non-beef burger recipes and tips from Kelsey Nixon, Rachael Ray and more using mushrooms, chicken, turkey and tuna on Cooking Channel.
Get a pizza on the grill recipe and tips for grilled pizza at home from Cooking Channel chefs Bobby Flay and Kelsey Nixon.
Learn how to barbecue with Cooking Channel's essential BBQ guide, including tips, advice, ideas, recipes, explaining different styles and more.
Get the best sizzling steak recipes and steak grilling tips from the chefs at Cooking Channel.
Pitmasters are passionate about who has the best 'cue. Texas brisket? Pulled pork from North Carolina? Learn a little more about regional barbecue and you'll be ready to hop in the fray.
Get an Asian-style ribs recipe prepared on the grill, plus pro tips from chefs like Bobby Deen and Ching-He Huang at Cooking Channel.
The key to creating a delicious slow-cooked meal is knowing the rules. Follow these 11 tips, and you'll be creating warm, hearty recipes all year long.