1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut parchment paper into twelve 5-by-5-inch squares. Lightly grease the inside of a 12-cup muffin tin. Center a square of parchment paper over 1 of the cups and use your fingers to press the parchment into the cup, so that it sticks to the sides and bottom. Crease the paper as needed to fit and repeat with the remaining parchment (regular muffin liners work just as well but the parchment looks pretty).
2. Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the yogurt, applesauce, molasses, orange zest, eggs and butter in a separate small bowl.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined (don't fret if the batter is lumpy, this means your batter isn't over-mixed).
5. Fill each liner almost to the top of the tin (an ice-cream scoop lightly greased with nonstick spray will help). Sprinkle each muffin with the toasted oats.
6. Bake, rotating about halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean and the tops are just slightly puffed and spring back when touched, 20 to 24 minutes. Let rest in the hot muffin pan 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool 30 minutes. Store the cooled muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days.