1. In a small pan over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of the ghee. Add the garam masala
, and garlic
and cook for 30 seconds (this will bring out the flavorful oils
of the spices
). Transfer to a medium bowl large enough for the chicken. Stir in the yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the tomato puree
2. Slice each chicken breast horizontally into 3 to 4 slices. Place in the yogurt mixture and coat thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap
and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
3. Wipe the marinade off the chicken. Discard the marinade
. Season the chicken with salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of the remaining ghee. Once the ghee
is hot, saute the chicken until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, the remaining 1 tablespoon tomato puree, and the cumin
. Set aside.
5. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 teaspoon ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add the red bell pepper
, and turmeric. Sprinkle with salt. Saute until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
6. Spread the bread with the mayonnaise mixture (if using pita
, split it open). Add the chicken, then the peppers and onions mixture. Garnish
with the cilantro. Serve immediately.