- Total Time:
- Inactive Prep:
- 6 lobster rolls
- 1 cup chopped celery (from 3 to 4 celery stalks), drained*
- 2 pounds freshly picked lobster meat, chilled and chopped into chunks, or 10 pounds live lobsters, steamed and meat removed
- 3/4 to 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 hot dog buns
- *Cooks Note: When celery is chopped, it tends to release its natural moisture, which can water down the lobster salad and give it a soupy consistency. To avoid this, chop the celery, wrap it in a dry clean towel or several paper towels, and place in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing the towel to absorb any excess moisture.
In a medium bowl, combine the lobster meat, celery and mayonnaise and gently toss until well mixed. Season with the salt and pepper and chill for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight) before serving.
Preheat a large heavy skillet over medium flame. Lightly butter both sides of each bun and cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. (The buns may also be toasted under a broiler.) When toasted, stuff them with the chilled lobster salad and serve immediately.