Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Bars and cookies are perfect picks for bringing to a bake sale.
Avoid these common baking blunders — and find quick fixes for the inevitable mishaps.
Minimize weeknight, last-minute fuss with a well-stocked pantry. Here's what to have on-hand.
Theres nothing wrong with plain old wheat but curious cooks are dusting off the history books and cooking up ancient grains to add texture and variety (not to mention extra nutrition) to meals.
Get vegetables on the grill recipes and summer grilling tips on Cooking Channel from celebrity chefs like Bobby Flay and Kelsey Nixon.
Want to try pickling at home? Shamus Jones from Brooklyn Brine shares some tips.
Serve your best bird yet — and make the turkey the centerpiece of your Thanksgiving table — with our tried-and-true top 10 turkey tips.
With a well-stocked spice cupboard you can add zest and zing to dishes at anytime.