Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Soak the cod in milk for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with a nice rain of salt and pepper. Dredge it in the flour/cracker-meal mixture; pat off the excess.
2. Heat the pan and add the clarified butter; when the pan lightly smokes, add the fish to the pan. It should rapidly bubble. Cook 3 - 4 minutes depending on thickness of filet; after those 3 - 4 minutes, the fish should have a golden-brown crust and you should be able to move it around the pan by shaking the handle.
3. Flip the fish over; finish in the oven for another 3 - 4 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet. (If it's a really thin filet, you may be able to skip the oven and finish on the stovetop.
4. Judge by the opacity of the fish; (if it's cooked through, it'll no longer be translucent.) Remove the fish from the oven, dab it with paper towels and slide it onto the cabbage.
Cabbage Cooked with Bacon and Wine
1. Heat the oil in a pan for 30 seconds and add the bacon and render until the bacon starts to crisp.
2. Add the carrot, cook a few minutes until softened then add the cabbage, stir around.
3. Add the wine and water and cook, stirring, until the cabbage is wilted and there is 2 Tbs of liquid remaining in the pan.
4. Add the butter, stir until vegetables are coated, immediately remove from the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Series: The Amateur Gourmet
Episode: Fish: The Musical Episode (Ep. 4)