Fall Fest: How 'Bout Them Apples?
We're teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we'll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you're harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
Let's face it, apples go a long way in making up for the fact that there are no more strawberries, no more zucchini or corn and no more tank tops and flip flops. During this week of Fall Fest 2010, we're talking about apples, the generous fruits that see us through the transition of summer-to-fall. An apple, dusted with cinnamon and simply baked, tucked under a buttery crust or a thick layer of spiced crumb topping, or cooked down into a sweet applesauce is quite possibly the most comforting food of all. Forget meat loaf and mac and cheese, nothing conveys warmth and coziness like a an apple pie, like Tyler Florence's Ultimate Caramel Apple Pie, above. Here's a roundup of some of the most tempting apple desserts out there -- some of yours, some of ours -- that are sure to escort you into the colder months, and will make you forget about your flip flips for another year.
Brown Sugar-Apple Cheesecake from eat me, delicious.
Emeril Lagasse's Caramel and Three Chocolate Apples
Vanilla Apple Crisp With Caramel Sauce from Closet Cooking.
Laura Calder's Baked Apples With Caramel Sauce
Apple Strudel from My Baking Heart.
Dave Lieberman's Apple Cake.
Craving even MORE APPLE RECIPES? Try our irresistible Apple Harvest Recipe Gallery here.
- Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Apple picking, and Broiled Leeks with Apple Vinaigrette
- Marilyn at Simmer Till Done: Louisa May Alcott's Apple Slump
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Apple pie and its place in her family religion
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Remaking The Silver Palate Cookbook's Medieval Apple Tart
- Alison at Food2: 22 Awesome Ways to Use Your Apples
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Apple Dessert Recipes
- Dana at Healthy Eats: 31 Days of Apple Recipes
- Liz at Food Network: Pick the Perfect Apple
- Caroline at The Wright Recipes: Apple Stack Cake and Dark Caramel Apples
- Food Network UK: Five English apples you should know and love
- Gilded Fork: Apples—Sweet Seduction
- Paige at The Sister Project: Third-Prize Apple Pie
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Favorite Apple Recipes
And don't forget to join the conversation (all season!) on twitter at #fallfest.