Fall Fest: Pumpkins and Squash
We're teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we'll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you're harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
At long last, it's squash and pumpkin season. There's so much to love about winter squashes in their many forms -- butternut, acorn, buttercup, spaghetti, delicata, hubbard, kabocha, sweet dumping, Cinderella pumpkins, sugar pie pumpkins. Yes, they all look lovely in a basket on your porch, or carved up with scary faces and all of that, but they deserve better -- you deserve better -- here are some great ways to take advantage of these beautiful-to-gaze-at but even better-to-eat vegetables.
Over at Pinch My Salt, you can find amazing how-to photos for this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Gratin:
How are you enjoying your winter squash? For more fantastic fall produce, check our more of our fall fest posts.
Pumpkins and squash from our family and friends:
- Gilded Fork: Butternut Squash Bisque with Nutmeg Crème Fraîche
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Roasted Pumpkin and Winter Squash with Labneh and Skhug
- Alana at Eating From the Ground Up: Fall Vegetable Chicken Pot Pie
- Alison at Food2: Pumpkin Donuts
- Toby at Healthy Eats: Pumpkin 5 Ways (Including Seed-Studded Pumpkin Bread)
- Kirsten at Food Network: Best Pumpkin Recipes
- Food Network UK: Praise the Gourd
- Cate at Sweetnicks: Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar and Butter
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Clay Pot Winter Squash
- Paige at The Sister Project: Pumpkin, Roasted, Stuffed and All Grown Up