Oktoberfest: Bring on the Beer
Bust out your lederhosen and beer gut: It's Oktoberfest time! More than 5 million people attend the beer festivities in Munich, Germany, which last from the end of September to the first weekend in October. (September 17 to October 3 to be exact.) Whether you’re headed across the globe, or just plan to have a celebration stateside, we've got the recipes and phrases to add some authenticity to your party.
- Prost! [prohst] -- Cheers!
- Noch ein Bier, bitte. [nokh eyn beer bee-teh] -- Another beer, please. (Maybe the most important phrase of all. Practice this one!)
- Die nächste Runde zahlen Sie! [dee nekh-steh roon-deh tsah-lehn see] -- Next round is on him/her!
- Halt deine Lederhosen fest! [hahlt dey-neh leh-dehr-hoh sehn fest] -- Hold onto your Lederhosen!
With all that drinking that goes on for Oktoberfest, food is a must. We've rounded up some Oktoberfest favorites, plus some new twists to help you stayed full.
- Wurst: No German meal is complete without a wurst of some kind. Make Michael Symon’s version of Bratwurst Stewed with Sauerkraut. Serve it on a baguette to savor all of the juicy flavor.