25 Ways to Use Rhubarb
Honey-Rhubarb Ice Cream
For a few short weeks in early spring, rhubarb takes center stage at grocery stores and farmers’ markets. And let’s be real, it’s hard to miss those giant pink stalks. Though rhubarb gets mistaken for a fruit in sweet dishes like crumbles and pies, this tart stalk is actually a very diverse vegetable. Rhubarb can be found in several varieties; the green stalks will be considerably more tart than the red-skinned variety. The tall, leafy vegetable makes a great addition to any garden, but be sure only to consume the celery-like stalks -- the leaves and roots of the rhubarb plant contain toxins that are poisonous. Celebrate spring’s bounty with these 25 delicious rhubarb-studded recipes. In no particular order:
- Let’s start off with a classic: Grandma’s Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie.
- Rhubarb often ends up in the sweet category, but this veggie can go both ways. Try it with a savory dish like Sauteed Pork Chops with Sherry-Berry Pan Gravy, Rhubarb Chutney.
- It’s 5 o’clock somewhere: Guy Fieri balances the sweetness in his Strawberry Rhubarb Paloma cocktail with just a splash of grapefruit soda.
- Balsamic vinegar is Anne Burrell’s secret weapon in her Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp.
- Jamie Oliver puts his twist on a classic dessert, Rhubarb and Custard Kinda Souffle.
- Top grilled fish, meat or even roasted potatoes with Alex Guarnaschelli’s savory Rhubarb Salsa. Make this salsa the night before you want to use it to let the flavors meld.
- Rhubarb-Strawberry Granita is Italian for delicious and an easy frozen summer treat.
- Snacks in a snap: Rhubarb Walnut Muffins are super easy to put together and ready to eat in less than an hour.
- Rhubarb Crumble Bars are hand-held vehicles of deliciousness. Oh, they’re gorgeous too.
- Nigella Lawson’s Rhubarb and Muscat Jelly is a grown-up version of everyone’s favorite jiggly dessert.
- Guy Fieri kicks up Mexican Rhubarb Chocolate Chunk Brownies with chile powder, rhubarb compote and just a tiny bit of dark rum.
- Make this Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce and pour it over everything. Seriously. Everything.
- If you have any asparagus left over from last week’s asparagus extravaganza, try out Claire Robinson’s Roasted Asparagus with Rhubarb Vinegar.
- Jelly Doughnuts with Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam. Hello deep-fried, jam-filled happiness. See ya never swimsuit season.
- Cooking for a crowd? Emeril’s Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb is super simple and serves six.
- Rhubarb season is fleeting; can some now and enjoy rhubarb during the rest of the year.
- Some of the best things in life can’t be rushed; start making your Honey-Rhubarb Ice Cream (pictured, top) the day before you want to eat it.
- Mark Forgione’s Rhubarb Mimosa recipe is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to brunch.
- Vanilla and crushed clove add a warm, aromatic flavor to Food Network Kitchen’s Strawberry-Rhubarb Stuffed French Toast Recipe.
- If you’re growing rhubarb in your garden, cut off and reserve the yellow-green flowers that grow in the center of the plant. They inhibit the growth of the stalks and can be fried and eaten, similar to zucchini flowers.
- Alton Brown strays from the typical rhubarb-strawberry combo with his Rhubarb Peach Cobbler.
- Have a hankering for Strawberry Rhubarb Zinfandel Crepes? You definitely do now.
- FNK’s Lemon Bundt Cake with Berry Rhubarb Glaze utilizes store-bought berry jam to cut down on your time in the kitchen.
- Swirly Temples are FNK’s individual pound cakes topped with strawberry preserves and rhubarb cream.