25 Ways to Use Coffee for Mother's Day
Moms are the toughest cookies out there. They manage to do everything and still have time to hang with the kids. How does she do it? No one really knows, but it starts with a cup of coffee. In honor of all the superhero moms running on coffee and love alone, I bring you coffee-filled recipes that are sure to please.
A few of these recipes call of instant espresso powder, which is a type of quick-dissolving coffee crystals. Check your grocery store; they’re often in the coffee section in little glass jars. Instant espresso is richer and darker than instant coffee, but you can use the coffee in a pinch -- just add 1 1/2 times the amount of espresso called for.
This Mother’s Day treat your mom to something special, but first make sure she’s caffeinated.
- Turn your kitchen into a French bistro with Laura Calder’s Coffee Eclairs (filled with vanilla pastry cream and topped with a coffee glaze.) Get crazy with your eclairs and fill them with Coffee Pastry Cream instead.
- The dieting mom’s delight: Coffee Angel Food Cake (pictured above) with sweet coffee glaze.
- It’s a dessert and a cocktail at the same time, Giada’s Mexican Coffee is a drink your multitasking mom would be proud of.
- Take the ultimate combo of Coffee and Doughnuts to the next level. This doughnut dough proofs twice for ultra light texture, just be sure to start this project a few hours before you want to eat.
- So your mom’s more into savory? Singaporean Coffee Ribs are the way to go. Marinated and then fried, these ribs are tossed in a coffee-oyster sauce glaze and finished with some ground cinnamon. Nom.
- It’s officially iced coffee season. And if you’re not making cold-brew coffee, you’re doing it wrong. Here’s a step-by-step guide on making your very own cup of cold brew.
- Granita is an easy Italian iced treat that requires no ice cream maker and very few ingredients. Try out Alton Brown’s super simple Coffee Granita.
- Irish Cream and Coffee Cookies are topped with an Irish cream Italian meringue buttercream frosting. Butter-based cookies need to go into the oven chilled to retain their shape. Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for at least an hour to avoid pancake cookies.
- Chicory root is a caffeine-free coffee substitute with a rich roasted flavor. Give chicory the ol’ college try with Bobby Flay’s bourbon-filled Coffee Milk Punch or Spiked Iced Chicory Coffee.
- Ingrid Hoffman’s Coffee and Cola Pork Loin gets two-part loving. The first is an overnight brine and the second is a coffee, sugar and spices dry rub.
- Have a bunch of moms you want to impress? Make a batch of Espresso Coffee Truffles, and you’ll be the favorite child. Cut down on cooling time by setting the chocolate in the fridge to harden up.
- Sometimes staying in is more of a treat than going out (especially on holidays when restaurants tend to set prix fixe menus). Ellie Krieger’s Cowboy Steak with Coffee and Chili Rub cooks up in less than 15 minutes. Don’t forget to rest the steak (or any meat) for a few minutes after cooking to let the juices redistribute.
- Mom loves no-mess projects and Nigella’s One-Step No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream will satisfy her sweet tooth. Nigella suggests serving a big scoop of the coffee ice cream on small, sweet brioche buns as an Italian ice cream sandwich.
- Pull out all the stops for mom and surprise her with Emeril’s Chocolate Coffee Flan.
- If you’re running short on time, top any dessert or even her morning coffee with Coffee Whipped Cream.
- You forgot to make dinner reservations and now you’re panicking. Bring the tapas restaurant home with Chuck Hughes’ slow-roasted Pork Belly and Scallop Starter with Coffee Glaze, which utilizes the braising liquid as the base for the coffee glaze.
- Keep it simple by brewing mom the best cup of coffee. Here’s a “how to” just for you.
- Andrea’s Hand Cranked Coffee Cavatelli will certainly impress. Handmade coffee pasta is served with porcini, squash, oranges and arugula. The recipe calls for calabaza, a winter squash, but you can substitute with butternut, acorn or whatever squash is available.
- Bobby Flay’s Chocolate Caramel Hazelnut Ice Coffee comes together in a snap and has everything you look for on a hot day filled with family. Make extra -- you’ll probably want to save a few glasses of this for yourself.
- Coming in at under 70 calories per serving, Hungry Girl’s Super-Duper Cocoa-Rific Coffee Malt is a win and mom will thank you for the low-cal pick-me-up.
- Heat up the grill for a mess-free kitchen, and get started on the Keawe Grilled Baby Back Ribs with Kona Coffee BBQ Grilling and Dipping Sauce.
- For the mom that can’t decide what she’s in the mood for, Momofuku Compost Cookies are everything you crave (think graham crackers, potato chips, pretzels, butterscotch and chocolate chips) in one delicious cookie.
- A low calorie brownie is a treat for everyone. Lighter Brownies are only 95 calories per square, but a little instant coffee brings out the rich cocoa flavor for a satisfying dessert.
- Raid your pantry (specifically cookie sandwiches, coffee, bananas and condensed milk) to make layered Banoffee Pie.
- Show mom you care with Beatty’s Chocolate Cake, because that’s what love looks like.