Frozen Friday: Sousy Slushies
We're in for a long, hot summer. So to stave off heat stroke, we're bringing you our favorite summer treats each week as part of Frozen Friday, giving you the scoop on our favorite ice-cold recipes and party ideas to help you stay cool all summer long.
Wine may not be the first thing that leaps to mind as an icy summer refresher. But we've spotted an enticing new trend: wine slushies. These not-so-innocent takes on the childhood staple combine fruit, chilled wines (or sake) and a lot of ice. Here are six summery reasons to dip into the wine cellar.
1. Cranberry Cabernet: Haven magazine takes their wine cocktail scooped, not shaken. Combine Cabernet Sauvignon, cinnamon and sugar for a mulled syrup, then add lemon and cranberry juices (pictured above).
2. Billy Sunday's Summer Cobbler: Put a tropical take on the traditional cobbler with equal parts Grüner Veltliner and one part white whiskey, shaken with splashes of soursop and lime juices and a few dashes of rum bitters (via Food Republic).
3. Strawberry Rosé Granita: Gourmande in the Kitchen soaks fresh strawberries in a mix of honey, framboise and lime juice before adding a fruity rosé of choice.
4. White Grape and Champagne Granita: Diethood strains and blends a light and simple green-grape purée with Champagne, lemon juice and sugar, then adds extra grapes to garnish.
5. Peach and Vanilla Gelato and Raspberry Sorbetto Cocktail: Cooking Channel brings its own booze to the table with Bobby's sorbetto cocktail, combining chilled prosecco and mint sprigs to scoops of vanilla and peach gelato and raspberry sorbet, respectively.
6. Bonus Round—Melon Ginger Sake: Make your home the hottest sake bar in town with Serious Eats' ripe cantaloupe cocktail. Combine the melon, ginger, lime juice and honey with two ounces of sake for these light and tangy orange flakes.