The Scoop: Fantasy Wines and Forgotten Grains
By: Camilla Brandfield-Harvey
From calorie-counting microwaves to literary libations, here's a boiled down list of this week's headlines:
- Stormborn Sauvignon Blanc: Game of Thrones fans will have 12 new wines of Westeros to pour for the Season 5 premiere.
- Cheap Eats: Americans spend a smaller fraction of their income on food than anyone else in the world.
- Weight Watcher: GE is developing a microwave that will cook your food AND count its calories.
- The Comeback Crops: Underutilized superfoods like amaranth, teff and fonio are all in the running to be "the next quinoa."
- By the Mouthful: A recent study shows that consuming certain foods and drinks in excess determines how soon we'll want them again.
Cooking Channel reinvented this retro dessert to fit adult taste buds. Get our recipe for Caramel Icebox Cake with Bittersweet Chocolate Wafers.
Banana bread is delicious all year round, but how 'bout a little summertime makeover? Think grilled banana bread ice cream sandwiches, a twist on an old classic.
Spiders on a cake are just plain creepy and a whole lot of fun. This marble cake recipe will satisfy your cravings for both vanilla and chocolate.
Keep a pitcher of this pineapple-infused rum in stock, and turn summer imbibing into a classier (and tastier) affair.
A company called XYZ Printing just announced an affordable food printer at this year's CES conference. It is expected to cost around $500.