The Scoop: Fantasy Wines and Forgotten Grains
By: Camilla Brandfield-Harvey
From calorie-counting microwaves to literary libations, here's a boiled down list of this week's headlines:
- Stormborn Sauvignon Blanc: Game of Thrones fans will have 12 new wines of Westeros to pour for the Season 5 premiere.
- Cheap Eats: Americans spend a smaller fraction of their income on food than anyone else in the world.
- Weight Watcher: GE is developing a microwave that will cook your food AND count its calories.
- The Comeback Crops: Underutilized superfoods like amaranth, teff and fonio are all in the running to be "the next quinoa."
- By the Mouthful: A recent study shows that consuming certain foods and drinks in excess determines how soon we'll want them again.
Get Cooking Channel's recipe for bacon-wrapped dates, the perfect appetizer for the Super Bowl.
Get Cooking Channel's recipes for homemade DIY recipes for fresh mozzarella, bacon, Limoncello, ice cream, pickles pizza dough and more.
Give your nachos a Southern spin with Cooking Channel's pulled pork nachos recipe.
Portlandia's Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein share their coffee drinking tips with Cooking Channel to celebrate their new cookbook (which you can win).
Before your spices expire — because most do within a year — try blending a few of them up for delicious DIY spice blends.