The Scoop: Fantasy Wines and Forgotten Grains
By: Camilla Brandfield-Harvey
From calorie-counting microwaves to literary libations, here's a boiled down list of this week's headlines:
- Stormborn Sauvignon Blanc: Game of Thrones fans will have 12 new wines of Westeros to pour for the Season 5 premiere.
- Cheap Eats: Americans spend a smaller fraction of their income on food than anyone else in the world.
- Weight Watcher: GE is developing a microwave that will cook your food AND count its calories.
- The Comeback Crops: Underutilized superfoods like amaranth, teff and fonio are all in the running to be "the next quinoa."
- By the Mouthful: A recent study shows that consuming certain foods and drinks in excess determines how soon we'll want them again.
Don't overlook okra when you are at the farmers' market. This versatile vegetable is perfect served in a warm, comforting stew recipe.
Learn how to make a beehive cake, the perfect dessert for a whimsical birthday party.
Take advantage of stone fruit season with Sean Timberlake's apricot jam recipe. Apricots don’t need much, but their flavor takes nicely to a little spice.
Give your BLT recipe a Southern slant by adding in fried green tomatoes. This recipe from Nealey Dozier turns garden vegetables into a delicious sandwich.
Give this recipe for quick bread and butter pickles a try. They're amazingly easy to make and will have the hallmark tangy-sweet bite as soon as they’ve cooled.
Ted Russin is a man of science and a foodie of the highest order, and he's bringing geekdom and all its glory back into the kitchen where it belongs. Ted is teaming up with top chefs to solve their kitchen conundrums using a touch of scientific inspiration.
Oreos form the crust in this creamy, no-bake peanut butter pie recipe from Zoe Francois.
Learn how to make authentic fresh corn tamales at home with this step-by-step, easy recipe from Ana Sofia Pelaez.
Save delicious summer peaches for a dreary winter day with this bourbon-and-spice peach butter recipe.