Brunch on a Budget: Grilled Bourbon French Toast
If you’re looking for an affordable brunch dish to feed your friends and family this spring, try Michael Symon's Grilled French Toast. In this recipe he creates aluminum “ovens” to cook his fruit topping alongside French toast on the grill for a delicious smoky flavor. We tried it out for ourselves with a few tweaks (see below), and broke down the cost above. We served six, so the total came to about $4 per person (counting the addition of maple syrup and powdered sugar, which we strongly suggest!).
- Use bananas instead of more expensive berries for your topping.
- Bourbon! (Add it to both the bananas and the custard before grilling.)
- Use whole-wheat bread and milk — instead of cream — for a healthier dish.
- Pay attention to your grill, because that toast will burn fast! An ideal char:
- But if you do burn your toast, simply cover it with lots of topping and powdered sugar, and your guests will never know:
Also, we have to give a special thanks to our friends Bill and Justyna for hosting and letting us experiment on their grill!