Summer Soiree: 5 BBQ Sandwiches
Low and behold, August is National Sandwich Month. And lucky for us, pulled pork and brisket sometimes taste even better wedged between crisp, toasted bread. The Fourth Earl of Sandwich — credited as the first to bookend his meat and cheese between two slices — clearly knew his way around a slider.Make your sandwich festivities a barbecued affair this month with thick shreds of meat, crunchy coleslaw and sweet-and-sour sauces.
1. Brisket Sandwich: Chuck's thick cut of brisket goes a long way. The dry garlic-ginger rub is flavorful but mild, allowing his homemade chipotle apple sauce to shine throughout (pictured above).
2. Pulled Pork and Kimchi Sandwich: Cuisines collide with Chuck's Korean barbecue fusion. Sweet, spicy kimchi offsets the rich, tender shreds of pork and melted cheese between the panini-pressed egg bread.
3. Bobby's Sweet and Spicy Pork and Slaw Sandwich: Bobby Deen eliminates butter, sugar and traditional ketchup for a low-fat and lower sodium barbecue sandwich on whole wheat buns. With a canned tomato base and amber agave for sweetness, this barbecue sauce is as close as it gets to guilt-free.
4. Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches: Ellie Krieger also keeps the calorie count down with chopped rotisserie chicken in low-sodium, butter-free tomato sauce. Liquid smoke lends the sauce that charred flavor without fattening add-ins.
5. Barbecue Chicken Sliders: Take this slider straight from the tailgating handbook. Once coated with a southern spice rub and slow-cooked in a Pilsner beer sauce, the chicken shreds are piled on steamed potato buns for a slider that means business year-round.
The Lemon Bowl: Tart Cherry Chinese BBQ Pulled Pork
Feed Me Phoebe: Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Lebanese Tomato Salsa
The Heritage Cook: Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (Gluten-Free)
Domesticate Me: Fiery Barbecue Flank Steak Tacos with "Summer Mess" Salsa
In Jennie's Kitchen: Ginger-Soy Marinated Flank Steak