Fall Fest: Bring On the Brussels Sprouts
As children, we learned that Brussels sprouts are the yuckiest vegetable of all time. It’s an unfortunate misconception, because shaking our little heads in staunch refusal meant missing out on the versatile side dish for way too long. Embrace the bitter little cabbages and fight their bad rap with five of our favorites.
1. Crunchy panko bread crumbs and salty grated Parmesan give this Brussels sprouts recipe (pictured above) depth of both texture and flavor. For easier entertaining, prep the dish the night before, then cook it through while you complete your main course.
2. Who needs lettuce? Make a seasonal salad with sprouts instead. The secret to Chuck’s recipe is the rich duck fat... though the bacon garnish doesn’t hurt either.
3. If you favor Indian flavors like coriander and fenugreek, kick up your Brussels sprouts with Bal Arneson's quick, easy 5-star recipe. Steaming keeps the sprouts bright green for a colorful presentation.
4. Need proof that everything is better with bacon? The cured meat gives Michael Symon's beloved Brussels sprouts a subtle smokiness, thanks to the bacon-mustard-walnut vinaigrette. It's an indulgent side dish that could pass for a full meal.
5. Never paired superstars kale and Brussels sprouts before? Then you’ve never tried this gratin. The creamy-when-baked celery root and the sweet-salty ham add a comforting element to an otherwise veggie-packed dish.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes from Friends + Family:
Dishin & Dishes: Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pine Nuts
The Cultural Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts - Three Ways
In Jennie's Kitchen: Penne with Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Brussels Sprouts Empanadas with Mustard Sauce
Red or Green: Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Peppers Pizza
Taste with the Eyes: Quinoa Omelette filled with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cheddar
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mint, Cilantro and Vietnamese Style Dressing
Domesticate Me: Kabocha Squash Quinoa Bake with Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Caramelized Onions