25 Ways to Use Asparagus
Asparagus season is in full swing, but before you go grabbing bunches of it at the farmers market, take a look at some of our favorite recipes for inspiration. Asparagus is one of the most versatile vegetables, because you can eat it shaved raw in salads, chopped and cooked in brunch or pasta dishes or even roasted on its own (sometimes with a little bacon). If you don't wrap it in a blanket of pork, it's low in calories — about 4 calories per spear — and it's a source of fiber and potassium. Asparagus also contains glutathione, a powerful anticarcinogen and antioxidant.
So make use of your local green market's plentiful asparagus stock with these 25 fantastic uses of asparagus.
- This basic Roasted Asparagus with Orange Glaze recipe from Tiffani Thiessen is a good place to start your asparagus adventures.
- Spaghetti With Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto from Giada De Laurentiis is luscious and rich but takes only a few minutes to prepare.
- White asparagus is grown under soil to prevent photosynthesis from turning the stalks green. Just remember to peel the stalks before you cook them. Try it in Emeril Lagasse’s Fried Soft Shell Crab, White Asparagus and Wild Sorrel With a Grilled Ramp Dressing.
- Creamy Farfalle With Cremini, Asparagus and Walnuts from Giada is a creamy crowd-pleaser.
- Wrap asparagus in almost anything. Rachael Ray wraps it in bacon, Kelsey Nixon tucks prosciutto around hers, Giada goes for smoked salmon (pictured at top), Tia Mowry uses Asian-marinated grilled beef and Ellie Krieger tries smoked turkey.
- Asparagus and Zucchini Crudi is a bright and fresh appetizer, ready in minutes.
- Everyone's invited to brunch at your place with Aida Mollenkamp's Asparagus and Jack Cheese Frittata.
- Alton Brown's Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto will get you in the spring state of mind.
- Robert Irvine’s Colossal Crab Asparagus Bisque has just a touch of decadence from crustaceans.
- Have a light meal from Rev Run's Sunday Supper with Penne with Fresh Tomato Sauce, Asparagus and Grilled Chicken.
- Michael Symon's Shaved Asparagus Salad is a light, refreshing and beautiful starter.
- Replace calorie-heavy Chinese takeout with this lighter Sesame Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry.
- Skip the Nutella and make savory Asparagus Crepes with prosciutto and Parmesan.
- Or make a show-stopping pancake: Bobby Flay's Asparagus and Cheese Popover with Spicy Herb Oil.
- Nadia G. heats up her Spicy Sauteed Asparagus side dish with some tamari and chile flakes.
- Turn your asparagus into a pesto, then pull a Bobby Flay and throw it all on the grill with Grilled Flatbread With Asparagus Pesto and Fontina.
- You can also use pesto in Aida's Spinach-Ricotta Pesto Pasta with Crisp Prosciutto and Asparagus. Prep it the night before for a stress-free picnic.
- Fried Tempura Asparagus is a great addition to any meal.
- Everything tastes better with cheese, including Roger's Indian-inspired Curried Macaroni and Cheese.
- For creaminess without dairy, make Coconut Milk Risotto with Asparagus.
- Break out the grill on your next Meatless Monday. Aida utilizes tons of fresh veggies like portobellos and asparagus for The Girl Burger.
- Or make a hearty meal indoors with Roger Mooking's Fisherman's Pie with Potato Gratin
- A Grilled Asparagus Tart uses an easy tart dough base for a quick, stylish dish.
- Surprise your special someone on date night with Laura Calder's Salmon En Croute.
Get more spring fruit and vegetable recipes. More asparagus recipes from our friends:
Creative Culinary: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Garlic and Parsley
Homemade Delish: Asparagus Crostini
Feed Me Phoebe: Spring Quinoa Mujadara with Asparagus
In Jennie's Kitchen: Asparagus & Arugula Panzanella
Healthy Eats: 5 Fresher Ways to Prepare Asparagus
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Asparagus, Onion & Pesto Pizza
Red or Green: Roasted Asparagus with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing
The Mom 100: Millet Greens Salad
Taste with the Eyes: Modern Asparagus Spring Rolls - Red Chili, Black Sesame, Almond