Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Win any holiday cookie swap with these five best holiday cookie recipes.
Bars and cookies are perfect picks for bringing to a bake sale.
Looking for the perfect whoopie pie recipe? Chuck Hughes' chocolate cake cookies are filled with a honey-marshmallow mixture -- the ideal sweet treat for the holiday season.
Make these impressive checkerboard cookies with step-by-step directions from Irvin Lin on Cooking Channel.
Spice up the cookie plate with Nadia G's spicy jam cookies.
Add bananas to your classic chocolate chip cookies with Kelsey Nixon's recipe.
Roger Mooking's peanut butter cookies are filled with giant chocolate chip chunks and salty roasted peanuts, so they've got that perfect salty-sweet, chewy-soft balance.