Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Add stem ginger (young ginger that's been preserved in a sugar syrup and canned) and lemon curd to white chocolate chip cookie dough for a spicy, citrusy take on a classically sweet cookie.
Make the best chewy white chocolate macadamia nut cookies with this recipe from Cooking Channel.
Can't decide which of your favorite holiday flavors should be represented in your cookie swap contribution? Why not combine three flavors in one conveniently popable bite-sized cookie?
These gingersnaps (from the White House pastry chef) deliver big on their name with plenty of pungent ginger flavor.
Make your own green, white and red icing- and sprinkle-covered "circus" cookies and cut them into cute Christmas shapes for the perfect holiday season dessert.