Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Get the recipe for butter eggnog cookies from Cooking Channel, by Todd Porter and Diane Cu of White on Rice Couple.
Your favorite childhood lunch is now a tasty dessert treat! Homemade peanut butter and jelly bars are a great snack or holiday gift.
Try Kelsey's 5-star recipe to make the perfect soft-and-chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Add stem ginger (young ginger that's been preserved in a sugar syrup and canned) and lemon curd to white chocolate chip cookie dough for a spicy, citrusy take on a classically sweet cookie.
These gingersnaps (from the White House pastry chef) deliver big on their name with plenty of pungent ginger flavor.