Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Win any holiday cookie swap with these five best holiday cookie recipes.
Bars and cookies are perfect picks for bringing to a bake sale.
Make coal-inspired cookies for people on your nice and naughty lists.
These gingersnaps (from the White House pastry chef) deliver big on their name with plenty of pungent ginger flavor.
Bake Kelsey Nixon's peppermint meltaways for your cookie swap.
This update on a traditional South African crunchies recipe includes cranberries, macadamia nuts and white chocolate for the holidays.
Add stem ginger (young ginger that's been preserved in a sugar syrup and canned) and lemon curd to white chocolate chip cookie dough for a spicy, citrusy take on a classically sweet cookie.
Try Kelsey's 5-star recipe to make the perfect soft-and-chewy chocolate chip cookies.