Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Update a traditional Jewish cookie with this recipe for candied apple rugelach from pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith and Cooking Channel.
Fill pistachio thumbprint cookies with black currant jam for a colorful twist on a classic holiday cookie.
Instead of a gingerbread house this holiday season, use salty snacks to create a Holiday Pretzel Log Cabin that you can decorate with an assortment of candy adornments.
Try Kelsey's 5-star recipe to make the perfect soft-and-chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Can't decide which of your favorite holiday flavors should be represented in your cookie swap contribution? Why not combine three flavors in one conveniently popable bite-sized cookie?
Looking for the best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe, ever? Kelsey Nixon's soft-and-chewy cookie has swirls of raisins throughout and substantial texture thanks to the old-fashioned oats.