Food People Picks: Top 10 Baker's Pantry Items
What you need on hand to make fabulous cookies, cakes, biscuits and other tempting baked treats.
- Baking Soda – leavening agent essential for baking and also cleaning and putting out grease fires
- Baking Powder – another leavening agent
- All-Purpose White Flour – makes pancakes, biscuits and so much more
- Whole-Wheat Flour – adds protein and fiber to baked goods
- Granulated Sugar – basic sweetener
- Brown Sugar – another cooking and baking sweetener
- Pure Vanilla Extract – a rich, nutty flavoring for many desserts
- Eggs – always have at least six in the fridge
- Chocolate – baker's and semisweet, plus cocoa powder
- Butter – unsalted
Win any holiday cookie swap with these five best holiday cookie recipes.
Bars and cookies are perfect picks for bringing to a bake sale.
These nutty layer bars are like your favorite peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich, compacted into a cookie and jazzed up a bit with raw almonds, almond butter and a crumble topping.
Make this twist on a chocolate chip cookie recipe with caramel and broken pretzels by Heather Baird of Sprinkle Bakes on Cooking Channel.
Chocolate-peanut butter lovers will rejoice over these cocoa-nut cookies studded with chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and chocolate-peanut butter cups.
Make peppermint cream and chocolate cookie sandwiches with this recipe on Cooking Channel by Todd Porter and Diane Cu of White on Rice Couple.