1. Coat the bottom of a pot with olive oil. Heat on medium.
2. Add the onion. Cook until translucent, but not brown.
3. Add the Arborio rice. Stir until hot (feel with your hand.)
4. Add the glass of wine; let the alcohol evaporate.
5. Begin ladling in hot chicken stock. Add just enough broth to cover the rice, cook gently (lower the heat), stirring all the while and adding more broth when the first addition is absorbed. Keep doing this for the next 15 minutes or so.
6. As you do this, begin adding whichever ingredients you'd like to feature.
7. Cook until the risotto tastes done (begin tasting at the 10 to 12 minute mark.)
8. Add a bunch of grated cheese, pour onto a plate and top with more cheese.