Hunger Hits Home
The documentary Hunger Hits Home takes a firsthand look at the crisis of childhood hunger in America through the eyes of the parents, children, anti-hunger activists, educators and politicians on the frontlines of the battle. The film is part of an ongoing partnership between Food Network and Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign to end childhood hunger in America by 2015.
Watch the documentary Sunday, September 16, at 8pm ET on Cooking Channel.
Tips for a Successful Viewing Event With Your Friends
Invite. Tell your friends, family and colleagues to come over on Sunday, September 16, for a viewing event of Hunger Hits Home.
Watch. The show airs at 8/7c on Sunday, September 16.
Act. After viewing, ask your friends to make a donation as well as add their signature to our petition asking elected officials to protect child nutrition programs. You can do this, and more, at FoodNetwork.com/hungry.
September 16-22, 2012, participating restaurants will donate proceeds to Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in America. Find a participating restaurant near you.
Discuss. Lead a discussion about the documentary after you have watched it. We have included some talking points designed to keep the conversation flowing.
Get Social. If you or your friends want to comment on what you are seeing, you can find us at:
6 Discussion Starters
1. How did watching the documentary make you feel?
2. Before seeing this documentary, did you think childhood hunger was a major issue in our country? How has your perspective changed since you’ve watched the documentary?
3. Do you think most Americans believe childhood hunger is a major issue in our country? If not, why?
4. Learn more about childhood hunger in your community. You can begin at http://GetLocal.NoKidHungry.org. Share the hunger statistics for your area. Are you surprised by what you find?
5. How do you feel when you are hungry? How do you think hunger affects the daily life of a child?
6. Do you know anyone who’s having trouble putting food on the table in the current economy? Have you ever not known where you next meal was coming from?
Tune into Hunger Hits Home Sunday, September 16, at 8pm ET on Cooking Channel.